Tech Lead - Observability at Rebellion Defense
Cloud systems implementation and management. Deep background in Ruby, AWS, Go, Terraform, and Kubernetes. Developer tooling and chatops expert.
Technical Lead - Observability
2022 - Present
- Leading a team of engineers in delivering observability services and internal products
Senior Backend Engineer
2021 - 2022
- Stabilized multi-vendor joint integration efforts with hands-on observability leadership and automation of data interchange formats
- Data engineering for ML exploration with Python and Go
- Engineering and Project management for cross-team platform solutions
2020 - 2021
Backend web services, ops, and event processing at over half a trillion events daily. Golang, Spark, Kubernetes, AWS, ElasticSearch, Terraform, Kafka, Cassandra, Redis, Splunk.
Senior Platform Engineer
2018 - 2020
- AWS-first platform and infrastructure strategy and leadership for fast-growing market leader in chaos engineering
- Lambda, Kubernetes, Terraform, CloudFormation, and simpler traditional Linux solutions on a case-by-case basis
- Robust automated serverless build and deployment workflows to support multiple engineering teams and products
- Low-friction ChatOps solutions to bring operational tooling to where the team is
- 24x7 continuous validation of production services with serverless API test tooling
- Custom tooling solutions written in Go, Python, and Ruby when off the shelf solutions aren’t a fit
Technical Book Author - Build Chatbot Interactions
2017 - 2019
Author of the first and only book to bring an entire toolbox of powerful chatbased automation techniques to programmers everywhere.
Digestible examples written in Ruby and provided with full unit tests and go-toproduction guidance.
Senior Software Engineer
2015 - 2018
- Piloted Kubernetes research to prepare our clients to move beyond existing VM-oriented hosting solutions.
- Led research on serverless technologies in Amazon, Google, and Microsoft cloud environments.
- Built out a portable web server environment with Vagrant+Ansible and later Docker Compose in order to shore up a six-month legacy PHP support engagement.
- Instrumented client applications and in-house products with industry-leading application performance monitoring, scalable background job processing, and fault detection analytics techniques.
- Presented on company’s behalf at Southeast Ruby, Dev Space Conference, and Memphis Ruby User Group.
Chief Technical Officer (CTO)
2014 - 2015
Leadership and support for:
- Product strategy, management, and implementation
- Engineering process and knowledge sharing
- Project staffing and recruiting
- Aiding parent company’s portfolio expansion through product and service strategy
as eCommerce / BI Lead:
Delivered online retail storefront and fulfillment solutions customized to fit the business needs of a variety of clients:
- Automated shipping rate quotes and shipping label generation
- Online payment gateway integration
- Cloud-based asset upload and storage
- Project estimation
- Technical leadership on eCommerce projects in all phases of their consulting lifecycle
Daniel Pritchett Applications Consulting
2009 - 2015
Delivering bespoke applications, hosting, and services including:
- E-commerce recommendation systems
- Mapping and geocoding
- Text and email messaging integration
- Secured online content and profiles
- Community building
Senior Software Developer
2012 - 2014
2011 - 2012
Bringing cutting edge machine learning models from academia to the enterprise
- Python + MongoDB data engineering pipeline
Senior Business Intelligence Programmer / Analyst
2010 - 2012
Managing and delivering retail business intelligence (BI) reporting and monitoring solutions integrating mainframe transactional data, line-of-business data warehousing, and marketing campaign data entry and management.
- Chair regular corporate BI steering committee bringing together business leadership and IT leadership to set the course for future BI projects and growth.
- Architect and implement data consolidation, reporting, and planning functions through MS SQL RDBMS and our BOARD BI platform.
- Leading research on just-in-time reporting solutions, application server virtualization, and enterprise collaboration tools using cutting-edge open source languages and libraries.
Business Intelligence Solution Developer
2005 - 2010
- Automated over 10,000 pages worth of month-end financial reporting – moved from handwrought Excel to fixed format Crystal using Business Objects XI 3.1. Prevented $1,000,000 in estimated operational losses by successfully delivering solution in Q1 2010.
- Created and promoted web-based power users’ community in support of the 30,000 licensed SharePoint users at International Paper. Researched and presented to CTO and IT Director on emerging trends in enterprise collaboration.
- Delivered a first-in-company distributed sales planning system. Designed and implemented customized SAP - Business Planning/Simulation solutions to forecast payroll bonuses based on sales plans.
- Saved $15,000 by designing and implementing a usability enhancement for SAP BW.
- Analyzed and enhanced XML data interchange automation for integrating over 50 remote containerboard manufacturing execution systems.
2003 - 2005
- Identified and fulfilled technology resource needs for a $50 million commercial real estate development company as the sole agent responsible for IT systems.
- Improved network accessibility and security for 15-employee network by planning and managing a complete network upgrade from Windows NT Server 4.0 to Server 2003.
- Delivered cost-benefit analyses to the owner of the company outlining the results of my vendor selection process for a Blackberry mobile connectivity upgrade.
- Guaranteed data consistency and disaster preparedness via instituting nightly Veritas tape backups.
CARE Research & Development Laboratory
Graduate Teaching Assistant
2002 - 2005
- Delivered a pixel-perfect Crystal report that enabled Alabama police forces to digitize existing paper-based traffic tickets. This improved officer efficiency and thus reduced the burden to taxpayers.
- Engineered and delivered a PHP/Apache web application built on a fiveserver federation of MySQL databases. Provided written analysis with recommendations on improving the system’s performance and reliability.
- Defended a master’s thesis on emerging criminal justice federated search technologies based on the federated database application I implemented.
- Increased public safety through implementing and validating traffic accident analytics tools used by state governments nationwide with C++ and Visual Basic desktop applications.